How to back up (export) and restore (import) notes and notebooks
Evernote allows you to back up (export and archive) notes and notebooks so that they can be restored (imported) in the future. Evernote automatically saves your notes to the cloud, but only Business and Premium users can roll back to previously saved versions of notes.
Back up your notes and notebooks as a way to:
- Create regular copies of notes in case of data loss
- Copy notes and notebooks from one Evernote account and import them into another account
- Copy and save notes and notebooks from your Evernote Business account to a personal account that isn't connected to that Evernote Business
How to export (backup) notes and notebooks
When exporting your notes as an Evernote XML (.enex) file, you can back up a single note, multiple notes, or a notebook. Exporting your notes saves all note contents, including attachments and tags, to the ENEX file.
- Right-click a note or notebook and select File > Export Note(s)
- Select Export as file in ENEX format (.enex) from menu
- Click Export, choose the file name and location and then click Save
- Export a note: Right-click a note select Export Note... or Export a notebook: Select View > Notebooks, then right-click on a notebook and select Export Notes from "[notebook name]".
- Make sure Evernote XML format (.enex) is selected
- Check the 'Include tags for each note' option if desired
- Click Save
The Evernote XML (.enex) file generated by the above process can be used to import notes or notebooks back into Evernote. This process can help you move notes between Evernote accounts or restore lost notes from a backup.
How to restore notes and notebooks
- Select File > Import> Evernote Export Files
- Locate and select the ENEX (.enex) file you want to restore and click Open
- Select File > Import Notes...
- Locate and select the ENEX (.enex) file from where it's been saved on your computer
- Select Open and make sure to check the 'Import tags' box
- From the dialog window that appears after a successful import, click Yes if you would like the imported notes to be added to a synced notebook and No if not
The imported notes are automatically saved to a notebook entitled "Imported Notes." From there you can move or copy them to any personal or business notebook.
Note: Stacks and note links cannot be backed up or restored.
- archive notebook
- archive notebooks
- archived notebook
- archived notes
- back up
- copy notes
- copy to other accounts
- export a note
- export notes
- import notes