Welcome to Evernote for Windows
This article provides an overview of the Evernote for Windows user interface.
Jump to a section:
The default toolbar includes the following:
- Sync: Manually sync notes between Evernote for Windows and the cloud.
- Upgrade: Compare Evernote subscription options, upgrade to Evernote Premium or Evernote Business, or unlock a free trial of Evernote Business. Note: The upgrade button is only visible to Evernote Basic users.
To customize the toolbar, go to Tools > Customize Toolbar from the menu bar. Here you will see buttons that can be dragged and dropped onto the toolbar in any order you choose.
Tip: To hide the toolbar completely, use Customize Toolbar to drag all the buttons off.
The left panel offers several ways to navigate within your Evernote account. If you want more space for the note list and note panel, the left panel can be hidden by clicking View on the menu bar and unchecking Left Panel.
- New Note: Create a new blank note. Learn more about notes.
- Shortcuts: Quick access to a customizable list that can include important notes, notebooks, notebook stacks, or tags. Learn more about shortcuts.
- All Notes: Click to display the list of notes in your account. The note list will appear in the in the note panel.
- Notebooks: Click the small arrow to show/hide the notebook list in the left panel. Click a notebook to display its contents in the note list. Learn more about notebooks.
- Tags: Click to display the tag index in place of the note list and note panel, or click the small arrow to show/hide the tag list as a drop down in the left panel. Double-click a tag from the index or click a tag from the drop down to display all notes with the tag. Learn more about tags.
- Shared With Me: Click to show notes that have been shared with you. Learn more about sharing.
- Saved searches: Click the small arrow to show a drop down list of your saved searches. Click a saved search to perform it. You can click the plus sign (+) to create a new saved search, or the magnifying glass next to the plus sign to search within your saved searches. Learn more about saved searches.
- Spaces (Evernote Business only): Spaces are shared workspaces where teams can collaborate. Any spaces you have access to will be listed here. Learn more about spaces.
- Space Directory (Evernote Business only): See a list of all the spaces associated with your company’s Evernote Business account. You can search for, join, and request access to spaces. Learn more about the space directory.
- Trash: View notes in the trash. Right-click to empty the trash or restore deleted notes. Note: The trash folder in Evernote Business accounts can only be emptied by an account administrator. Learn more about deleting notes and managing the trash folder.
The note list displays the contents of the current notebook or search results. Clicking a note in the list displays it in the Note Panel. To open a note in a new window, double-click on it in the note list.
- Change View/Sort: Choose how notes in the list are displayed and the order in which they are sorted.
- Search notes: Search for keywords, locations, tags, and more. Evernote searches the titles and contents of your notes, as well as text inside images. Learn more about search.
- Tag search: Click to select a tag or tags. Search results will be filtered so that only notes with the selected tag(s) will be shown.
- Reminders: This section appears at the top of the note list when upcoming reminders are present. Click the small arrow to drop down or hide the list of upcoming reminders. Click the gear to customize reminder display settings and sort order. Learn more about reminders.
The editing toolbar appears in the note panel (or note window) above the body of the note. Note: The editing toolbar will only appear when viewing a note that you have permission to edit.
- Highlighter: Highlight selected text.
- Code block: Create a code block.
- Bulleted list: Add/Remove bullets.
- Numbered List: Add/Remove automatic numbering.
- Insert Checkbox: Insert a checkbox (todo)
- Align: Select text alignment - choose between Left, Center, Right, or Justify.
- Decrease/Increase Indent
Page Elements and Tools
- Insert Table: Insert a table; choose desired number of rows and columns.
- Insert Rule: Insert a horizontal divider line that spans the width of the note.
- Attachments: Attach a file to this note from your computer, such as a PDF, Word document, or image.
- Attach File From Google Drive: Select a file from your Google Drive to attach to the note.
- Audio: Begin an audio recording in the note.
- Snap and Insert Photo: Take a picture with your device’s built-in camera and insert it into the note.
- Repeat Command: Repeats the last action performed.
This section contains the note title, note toolbar, tags, note location information (if present), the editing toolbar, and the note body.
The note toolbar is a customizable section of the upper right corner of the note panel.
- Share: Click here to grant (or revoke) others access to the note and/or change sharing settings. Learn more about sharing.
- Info: View detailed information about this note, including: created and updated dates, location, sync status, and the notes revision history. (Note history is available to Business and Premium users only).
- Click to show more note commands: Expand the full list of available note commands.
- Reminder: Set a reminder for this note.
- Present: Display the note in presentation mode. Learn more about presentation mode.
- Print: Print the note.
- Email: Share the note via email. (The recipient will receive a web link and doesn't need to install Evernote.)
- Delete: Move the note to the trash
- Customize: Edit the note toolbar. As with the main toolbar, buttons can be dragged and dropped onto the edit note toolbar in any order you choose.
The note body is where the action is! It displays the contents of the current note. You can type or copy and paste text and images, drag and drop files to attach, and even write or draw directly into a note. Learn more about notes.
- windows ui
- user interface reference
- evernote for windows
- icon descriptions