How to set up offline notebooks on mobile devices
Any synced note and notebook in your Evernote account (except for local notebooks) can be viewed and edited from any supported computer or device while you have an internet connection.
What you can access when no internet connection is available
On mobile devices, Evernote only stores a small amount of data about each note (titles, tags, small snippet of text, and some other data) and notebook in a temporary cache. This allows you to search and browse some notes without an internet connection, but the full note content is not available unless you're connected to the internet, have recently viewed the note, or have set up offline notebooks.
Evernote for Mac and Windows store all of your synced notebooks and notes in a local database. Because your content exists in local files on your computer, you'll always have access to them, even when you don't have an internet connection. To access these notes, make sure that you're already signed in to the app before you disconnect from the internet. Any changes you make during your time offline will be synced the next time your computer connects to the internet.
How to set up offline notebooks
Note: Available for Evernote Plus, Premium, and Business customers only
Offline notebooks are useful when traveling or during your bus or train commute without internet access.
To configure offline notebooks on mobile devices:
iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
- Open the Account tab
- Select Settings > Notebooks > Offline Notebooks
- Select some or all notebooks to be downloaded for offline use
- Select Notebooks from the navigation menu
- Tap the options button (three dots) at the top of the screen, then select Offline notebooks
- Toggle the switch for some or all notebooks to be downloaded for offline use
Tips for freeing up device storage space
Because offline notebooks take up space on your device, there are a couple ways to free up device storage space:
- Disable offline notebooks: Disable one or more of offline notebooks you no longer need offline access to in order to free up more storage space.
- Clear your Evernote cache manually: Although the cache file is temporary and eventually cleared, you can free up more space on your device at any time by going to your Evernote settings page and clearing out Evernote's cache manually.
- clear cache
- free up space
- offline access
- work offline