Frequently asked questions
Where can I buy ScanSnap Evernote Edition?
Buy the ScanSnap Evernote Edition from Fujitsu.
How do I get started?
- Download the Windows and Mac installer from the Evernote website.
- Read through this product guide
Is the ScanSnap Evernote Edition Software compatible with other scanners?
Since our hardware and software are so deeply integrated, features like auto-filing necessitate using the ScanSnap Evernote Edition hardware.
What is the difference between the ScanSnap Evernote Edition and the ix500?
The entire scanning experience from setup through scanning have been re-imagined for the ScanSnap Evernote Edition. The primary differences are:
- Get scanning faster with one-step setup of all drivers and software
- Automatic document type detection and auto-filing: the scanner automatically identifies documents, business cards, receipts, and photographs and files them into the appropriate Evernote notebook
- Never worry about terms like image resolution, DPI, color depth, or compression again. ScanSnap Manager Evernote Edition automatically chooses the optimal settings for visual quality and disk space
- One-step Wi-Fi scanning easily clears your desk of wires
- Business cards are automatically turned into rich contact notes with information from LinkedIn
- Unintrusive scanning: scanning does not interrupt your workflow. Get notified of scans while staying focused on your current task.
Can I use my ScanSnap Evernote Edition with multiple computers?
Yes. The ScanSnap Evernote Edition will first scan to whichever computer is connected via the USB cord. If a USB connection is not available, the scanner will connect to your selected computer over a Wi-Fi connection. This means you can have the scanner connected to a computer via Wi-Fi and plug it in via USB to other computers when needed.
Can I scan to other destinations (like Dropbox, Google Drive, or Box) as options?
Yes, along with scanning to Evernote, you can also specify a destination directory for raw scanned files. You can do this by choosing to save copies of scanned files from the 'General' tab of the ScanSnap Manager Evernote Edition.
Can the ScanSnap Evernote Edition scan directly to a mobile device?
Yes, install Scannable to scan directly from ScanSnap Evernote Edition onto your mobile phone.
Does the ScanSnap Evernote Edition scan directly to the cloud (without a computer)?
The ScanSnap Evernote Edition scans to Evernote on your computer over USB or a Wi-Fi wireless connection. Your scanned documents will sync from your computer to your Evernote account, where they will then be accessible from all your devices. This was a deliberate decision based on providing the best user experience and not on any technical limitations. Some of our rationale:
- We found that users value the ability to visually inspect scans before discarding their original documents. The delay from direct-to-cloud scanning made this difficult. Instead we minimized the time between scanning and on-screen document previews.
- Scanning to the cloud makes multi-user environments challenging. i.e. picking a destination Evernote user would require an involved setup process and security considerations to avoid exposing accounts to data injection.
- When an internet connection is not available, there is no perfect answer to what a direct-to-cloud scanner should do with scanned documents.
Does the ScanSnap Evernote Edition make PDFs searchable with optical character recognition (OCR)?
Yes. The ScanSnap Evernote Edition scanner uses the industry's leading text recognition engine from ABBYY to make text in documents searchable and selectable.
Does the ScanSnap Evernote Edition support manual control for color depth, image resolution, and compression?
Yes, but we automatically optimize your settings for image quality and size based on the detected scanned document type. For example, documents will be scanned as searchable PDFs but photographs will come in as high-quality JPEGs.
How does the business card scanning work?
When you scan a business card using the ScanSnap Evernote Edition, we use proprietary server-side image recognition technology to extract basic information and use it to create a rich contact note.
If you authorize Evernote to connect with your LinkedIn account, we will use the basic information found on the card to search LinkedIn on your behalf for more detailed contact information such as company, title, and profile photo.
This screenshot shows a rich contact note created by scanning a business card and automatically extracting details from online social networks.
How do I download or share my scanned files?
Every scanned file is saved automatically into a note inside Evernote. By default, documents are stored as PDF documents, while receipts, photos, and business cards are stored as jpg files. Since they are in Evernote, all your files are available on every computer and mobile device with Evernote.
- Open a file: To open a file on your desktop computer, simply double-click on the file or right-click and select Open.
- Save a file to your computer: To save a file to your computer, right-click and select Save or just drag the file out of the Evernote note into your desired computer folder.
- Share a file via email: To share an individual scanned file through email, just click the Share icon inside the Evernote note. Select Email and your email program will open and attach the contents inside the email.
- Share an entire notebook: Since your scanned files are automatically organized into your preferred notebook, you may share any notebook with other Evernote users. Simply right-click on the notebook on your computer inside Notebook view, and select Share.