How to add handwriting to notes on Android devices
Use your finger or stylus to add handwriting directly in Evernote. Insert diagrams and handwritten text right alongside your photos, audio recordings, and file attachments. Evernote recognizes handwritten text inside your notes so you can search for it later.
Ways to use handwriting:
- Add diagrams to class and meeting notes
- Jot down ideas when renovating an office or home
- Draw UI designs for app screens or web pages
- Create video storyboards
How to add handwritten text to notes
- From any opened note in edit mode, tap the pen button or tap the paperclip, then select ‘Handwriting’.
- Handwriting tools appear at the top of the screen. Tap the pen to start sketching notes with your finger or stylus.
- Tap the checkmark to save. Handwriting is saved as .PNG images that can be annotated, downloaded, and edited on other iOS and Android devices. Once annotated, handwriting images can’t be edited.
Explore handwriting tools
- Add Handwriting: Opens up a blank canvas for you to add handwriting to a note.
- Pen: Write or draw freeform strokes in a variety of colors and sizes.
- Eraser: Remove any unwanted strokes. Tap a second time, and select ‘Clear All’ to clear the entire canvas.
- Selection: Select, cut, or move, sections of the text or drawing elsewhere in the note.
- Undo: Undo action most recently performed.
- Redo: Reverse the action most recently undone.
- Back: Save your handwriting and return to note editing view.
To edit existing handwriting, simply tap the page while in the note editing view. Handwritten notes created on an Android mobile devices (and not annotated) can be edited on iOS device that supports sketching. Learn more
Add content above or below a handwritten image
Tap above or below the handwritten note or sketch. Once the keyboard appears, move the cursor where you'd like and add more content.
In editing view, scroll down and tap the plus (+) button to append a page to the existing one.
To scroll through multiple handwriting pages, tap the up and down arrows, or simply use two fingers to swipe up and down.
To remove a page, return to the note editor view by tapping Back. Tap and hold the page you’d like to delete, and select Remove from the pop-up window.