FAQ for Work Chat
TOPICS COVERED IN THIS ARTICLE:
- General Information
- Note and Notebook Sharing
How do I associate my email address with my Evernote account for Work Chat?
- Have someone send you a Work Chat message to your email address
- Click on the link in the email to open up the Evernote login page
- On the login page, sign in to your primary Evernote account
This process will associate the recipient email address with your Evernote account. You can repeat this process for as many email addresses as you’d like associated with your Evernote account.
How do I change my chat profile name and picture?
You can change your profile name and picture from your account settings in Evernote Web.
How do I remove an email address that has been associated with my Evernote account?
- Go to your account settings in Evernote Web
- Click Manage email addresses
- Remove the email address
How long are Work Chat messages stored in Evernote?
How do I delete a Work Chat message thread?
- Mac and Windows: Open your Work Chat message list, right-click the message thread you want to delete, then select Delete Chat.
- iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch: Tap the Work Chat button (chat bubble with an arrow) on the home screen, swipe left on the message thread you want to delete, then tap Delete.
- Android: Tap the Work Chat button (chat bubble with an arrow) from the menu, tap and hold the message thread you want to delete, then select Delete chat.
- Evernote Web (older version): Select the Work Chat button (chat bubble with an arrow) from the menu, hover your mouse over the message thread you want to delete, then click the trash can button.
What happens when I delete a message thread?
- You won’t be able to retrieve it.
- Any references to notes shared with you in that thread are no longer accessible. You can, however, still view the notes if the note is from a notebook someone has shared with you.
- The thread you've deleted will still be visible to other participants in that chat in their accounts.
Can I back up my Work Chat messages?
Evernote stores all of your account data on the Evernote servers. If you have an Evernote desktop app installed on your computer, there may also be a local database of your Evernote content. However, there is currently no method for exporting or backup up individual Work Chat messages.
Can I forward Work Chat invitation emails to another person?
Evernote does not recommend forwarding Work Chat invitations to anyone else, as they are tied specifically to your email address. Forwarding an invitation email to someone else may result in that person linking your email address with their Evernote account.
Why can’t I see any Work Chat features in my Evernote app?
Make sure you have the latest versions of Evernote installed on your devices. In Evernote Web, make sure you’re using the older version, as the current version of Evernote Web does not support Work Chat.
Can I chat with someone without sharing a note?
Yes. The way to start a new chat varies slightly on each device:
- Mac and Windows: Select 'Work Chat' from the sidebar, then click the +New Chat button at the top of the message list.
- iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch: Tap the Work Chat button (chat bubble with an arrow) on the home screen, then tap the + button.
- Android: Tap the Work Chat button (chat bubble with an arrow) from the menu, then tap the + button.
- Evernote Web (older version): Select the Work Chat button (chat bubble with an arrow) from the menu, then click the 'Start a chat' button (chat bubble with an arrow) in the slide-out panel.
How am I notified of new chat messages?
If you have Evernote open and logged in, a notification pops up on your screen. You’ll also see a number counter appear or increase each time you receive a new chat. If you’re not logged in, you’ll need to do so before you can view a chat. If your mobile device supports push notifications, you will get a push notification when you receive a new chat message.
Can I add/remove participants to/from a chat?
No, when you attempt to add a new person to a chat, a new chat is automatically created in order to keep the information private. If you’d like to remove someone, you need to start a new chat.
Can I chat with someone if they don't use Evernote?
Start a new chat as you normally would, and enter an email or phone number* of the person you’d like chat with (in the field where it says ‘Enter name or email’). Once invited, recipients will receive an email or SMS message notifying them that they’ve received a chat from you. They can then choose to sign up or log in to Evernote in order to view and participate in the chat.
Note: SMS invitation feature is not available in all countries.
How does someone who doesn’t use Evernote view and respond to a chat I’ve sent them?
Once recipients receive an email or SMS message inviting them to view your chat, they’ll be prompted with a link to install Evernote.
Note: SMS invitation feature is not available in all countries.
What happens if I send a chat to an email not tied to the recipient’s actual Evernote account?
You don't have to worry about whether or not an email is tied to a chat recipient's account. If someone already has an existing Evernote account, and you’ve sent a chat to a phone number or email not tied to that account, they can either log into Evernote using their existing Evernote account details or add the new contact details to their existing account.
Can an Evernote Business account admin view, edit, or delete Work Chat messages?
Not at this time. Evernote Business account admins can only view, edit, or delete chats they themselves have participated in. Chats are private among participants.
Note and Notebook Sharing
How do I share a note in Work Chat?
- On computers: Select a note from the note list and click Share or drag and drop notes from the note list directly into a chat.
- On mobile devices: Select a note from the note list and tap the Work Chat button (chat bubble with an arrow).
Can I share notes with multiple people?
Yes. Share a notes as you normally would share with an individual in Work Chat, then invite multiple people to the chat. Once you click Send and people accept your chat invitation, they’ll see the note you’ve shared with them.
Note: When you share notes with multiple people in a chat, everyone you’ve shared with can actively participate in that chat.
Do people need to download Evernote to view shared notes and notebooks?
No. People do not need to download an Evernote client or ever use Evernote again. Probably the biggest misconception about Work Chat is that you have to worry about whether or not the people you’re sharing with have Evernote or not. People will get an email with a link to see the note in a web browser. Like Google docs or other collaboration tools, all people need to do is sign in (if they already have an Evernote account) or create an Evernote account before they view the note, so we can enforce your sharing permissions.
How do I view a note shared with me in a chat?
- Tap Work Chat on the home screen (mobile) or from the side menu (computers)
- Find the chat corresponding to the shared note
- Scroll through the chat to find the shared note and select it to view it
If I set sharing permissions on a note I share with someone, do they affect the sharing permissions on the notebook the note is in?
Note permissions are separate from notebook permissions. You should get the highest permission available to you between the permission levels you've set for the note and the notebook. So, if you share a note with someone with ‘Can edit and invite’ permissions, and that note is in a notebook for which that person has only ‘Can view’ permission, they’ll still be able to edit the individual note and share it with others. Note permissions can be granted or upgraded in Work Chat, but never downgraded In other words, when you’re setting permissions when sharing a note in a chat, you can only change the recipient’s permission from ‘Can view’ to ‘Can edit’ and not from ‘Can edit’ to ‘Can view’.
Can I change or remove permissions for notes I’ve shared in Work Chat?
Yes. If you have ‘Edit and invite’ permissions for the notebook that contains the note, you open the note from any desktop or mobile client to change permission levels or stop sharing a note altogether.
How do I stop sharing a note?
To stop sharing a note, open the note then do the following:
- Select Note > Share > Share Note... from the menu bar, then click 'Turn off' in the 'Shareable link' section
- Select Note > Share > Share Note... from the menu bar, then click the small downward arrow to the right of the name(s) of users you'd like to stop sharing the note with, then select Remove access...
- Select Note > More Sharing > Stop Sharing Public Link
- Select Note > More Sharing > Permissions..., then click 'X' beside the name of the recipient whom you'd like to stop sharing the note with
iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch:
- Tap the info (i) button, tap Note Permissions, tap the name or email address of the recipient whom you’d like to stop sharing the note with, then tap Stop sharing (or tap Stop sharing with all)
- Tap the info (i) button, tap Note permissions, tap the three dots button, then tap Stop sharing
Evernote Web (older version):
- Click the info (i) button, select Modify Sharing, then click 'X' beside the name of the recipient whom you'd like to stop sharing the note with
How do I stop sharing a notebook?
To stop sharing a notebook:
- Right-click on a notebook from the notebook list, select Share notebook..., click 'Modify notebook permissions' then click the 'X' beside the name of the user(s) you'd like to stop sharing the notebook with
- Right-click on a notebook from the notebook list, select Modify Sharing... or Manage Notebook Permissions..., then click 'X' beside the name of the recipient whom you'd like to stop sharing the notebook with
iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch:
- From the notebook list, tap Edit, tap the info (i) button, tap Notebook permissions, tap the name or email address of the recipient whom you'd like to stop sharing the notebook with, then tap Stop sharing
- Open the notebook, tap the options menu (three dots button), tap Modify sharing, tap the name or email address of the recipient whom you'd like to stop sharing the notebook with, then tap Stop sharing
Evernote Web (older version):
- Open the notebook, click the info (i) button, select Modify Sharing, then click 'X' beside the name of the recipient whom you'd like to stop sharing the notebook with
Can I share a note using a public link?
Yes. If you own a particular notebook or have ‘Can edit and invite’ permissions on a shared/business notebook, you can share notes from that notebook by selecting 'Copy Public Link’ or ‘Share Notebook…’ from the Share button options.
Can I share a note by email without using Work Chat?
Yes. The email note feature is a way of sharing a note via email. Your note is converted to HTML and put into an email message. Sometimes this works great and at other times the conversion to email is less desirable with image stretching and other formatting issues. This method is useful when you don’t want people to get updates or you don’t care if they email it to others. We have deemphasized this feature in favor of Work Chat because Work Chat lets recipients edit and collaborate on a note you share with them. This is a new feature.
I see people's faces on shared notes. What does that mean?
Evernote now shows you the names and profile pictures of the people who are viewing/editing a note in real time. You can see the profile pictures of up to three people who are present at once. If more than three people are present at once, you’ll also see either the Work Chat button (mobile) or a button with the number of people present the note (desktop), which you can click or tap to see the full list of people. You can start a chat with any of these people by clicking or tapping on their profile photo.
Why am I not receiving Work Chat invitation emails?
Check for the following:
- There are no typos in the name or email address that the sender input
- The sender can double check the chat details in the info (i) tab
- The message did not get routed to your spam or trash folder
- The subject line should say “[Sender] sent you a chat in Evernote” and the email address should be from email@example.com
- You have not already received an invitation email from the same person in the past 30 days
- Invitations are only sent from an individual once every 30 days, so refer back to the original invitation to open the chat
Why am I not receiving Work Chat message notifications?
For mobile devices that support push notifications, make sure push notifications are turned on for Evernote. For computers, make sure your Evernote app is open and logged in. If you’re not logged in, you’ll receive an email notification after 30 minutes, and again after 72 hours if you still have unread messages in Evernote.
- edit and invite
- public link
- send a chat
- send a message
- share a note
- sharing notes
- view and edit
- work chat